Thursday 25 July 2013

“Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”




Due to a series of fortunate adventures; this month seems to have inadvertently named itself “Alice month”! During an impromptu trip to Coventry I found myself wandering into the Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, which happens to be the current home to a selection of overwhelmingly detailed illustrations by Sir John Tenniel for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass and what Alice found there by Lewis Carroll. 

 Whilst simultaneously fuelling my love for all things fantasy based and transporting me back to my childhood, I happily absorbed myself in the fine detail and escaped for a few moments into Alice’s world of mad hatters, grinning cats, and tea parties!


I found myself tumbling further down the rabbit hole this week as I travelled over to previously unexplored Oxford, the birthplace of fictional Alice. After witnessing many curious and “curioser” objects held in Oxford University Museum of Natural History and the adjoining Pitt Rivers Museum which included; a selection of morbidly (but awesomely!) fascinating shrunken heads and the Oxford Dodo amongst many other alluring sights, my appetite for adventure had been truly satisfied.

 You can find more information about upcoming exhibitions at the Herbert Art Gallery & Museum (including a particularly exciting looking Quentin Blake one) here http://www.theherbert.org/


Aswell as loads of super cool collections here http://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/ and here http://www.oum.ox.ac.uk/





No comments:

Post a Comment